Springtime Outdoor Exercise Program
Spring is in the air! It's time to shed that extra winter weight and hit the gym. But as the weather gets nicer, it's hard to stay indoors. Instead, try this fun and effective outdoor exercise program as an alternative to hitting the gym.
1. Squats with Hip Kicks: This exercise will target the thighs, glutes and hip muscles. To complete this exercise start in a standing position. Slowly bend the knees as you keep your weight back and knees parallel. Then return to standing position and kick one leg out to the side while keeping balanced. Then return to the squat position and then kick the other leg. Repeat 10 times and 2 sets.
2. Planks: This exercise will target the core. Start by propping up on the elbows and forearm. Pull in the abs, squeeze the bottom and lift up on the balls of the feet. Keep the spine straight and the body neutral. Hold for 20 seconds and repeat 3 times.
3. Narrow Push-Ups: This exercise will target the triceps. Starting in a push up position, place the hands close together. Keep the abs in tight, slowly squeeze back the shoulder blades and bent the elbows, lowering the body towards the floor. Then return to starting position. Make sure to not move the body past the bent elbow. Repeat 10 times and complete 2 sets.
4. Lateral Lunges: This exercise will target the hips and glutes. Start by placing the legs wider than hip width apart. Slowly bend one knee while keeping the other knee straight. Keep the weight back on the heels. Repeat 10 times on one side and then complete on the other. Repeat 2 sets.
5. Birddog: This exercise will target the back and core stabilizers. To complete this exercise start on hands and knees. Pulling the abs in, lift the right arm and left leg straight out. Keep the body stable and the spine neutral. Return to starting position and repeat on the other side. Complete 10 times for 2 sets.
for more workout ideas make sure to visit www.saramikulsky.com